Cutting glass for external overflow box

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to do an external overflow like this but my tank builder says it will cause stress points. Can anyone give me some insight or solutions?

I know the Innovative Marine Ext range are done like this, would buy one in a heart beat but they're not available in Africa

Thanks

Overflow.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder is probably referring to cutting the notch out of the back pane. That requires special equipment (pricey) to do correctly. There are demos online but I wouldn't recommend them for long term piece of mind no matter how many say - it's worked for me for years.

Since you can't purchase one, you'd be much better off with a stronger tank going with drilling an internal overflow. I know that's not what you want to hear as I'm sure you wanted the very clean look. Unfortunately, reefing is all about making compromises and where to make them. There are some amazingly thin internal overflows out there that are safe and easy to maintain (easier than permanently installed glass box IMO), plus you have more options for changing in the future easier.

Anyways...good luck with how ever you go.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about specifically the bulkheads and use thread x slip. So as not to over tightin on both sides of the glass and put stress on the tank. The slip is on dry side.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder is probably referring to cutting the notch out of the back pane. That requires special equipment (pricey) to do correctly. There are demos online but I wouldn't recommend them for long term piece of mind no matter how many say - it's worked for me for years.

Since you can't purchase one, you'd be much better off with a stronger tank going with drilling an internal overflow. I know that's not what you want to hear as I'm sure you wanted the very clean look. Unfortunately, reefing is all about making compromises and where to make them. There are some amazingly thin internal overflows out there that are safe and easy to maintain (easier than permanently installed glass box IMO), plus you have more options for changing in the future easier.

Anyways...good luck with how ever you go.
Hi Quietman, is the special equipment you're referring to a waterjet cutter?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u reffering to outside box, with holes for buklheads, or glass itself with "notch"?

If you talking about outside box - no worries, just little attention when drilling holes.

If notch is what u want, then....probably no, it is possible to cut it that way, even with just basic tools, but, aviod it... It just looks cool....

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm referring to the notch. Found a video now, not sure if I'm allowed to link here but heres a screenshot. Instead of cutting out a notch they have drilled multiple holes. Is this a better solution or is it just adding multiple stress points?
Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 14.10.31.png

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 holes in side panel of tank, trough them water enters external box with bulkheads and pipes.

No problem at all, internal and external boxes add support and reduce pressure to that panel.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt cut the tank and put a wier/comb in like that. just drill a 63mm hole and put an 11/2" bulkhead fitting, put in a internal overflow box (the black piece). then silicone the glass box to the outter with your 3 drain holes. Any acrylic sign maker with cnc cutter can knock you up a box like this

Attachments

• Screenshot (327).png
    Screenshot (327).png
    339.5 KB · Views: 113

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Quietman, is the special equipment you're referring to a waterjet cutter?
That and I've seen some expensive high end jigs with special cutting blades as well. I was investigating how feasible something like this once and my research indicated to leave it to professionals and even then, I may want to go with a post cutting tempering if that's the only pane between water inside the tank and a call to my insurance guy. Some designs use the notched glass but also have a pane that goes to bottom of weir. Those look much longer lasting to me.

As I understand it, the notching of glass just puts unusual stress fractures in glass more so than drilling holes. But not a glass engineer either.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my tank the back pane was notched with water jet, drilled for returns then tempered. 5/8 glass. if you dont have that option, the after market externals are the way to go.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the input, I've found a place that can temper the back panel. Will include a 50mm brace on the back panel

The 12mm glass is hopefully well over-specced for the tank size of 1000x650x500mm high

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back