BOBBIT WORM HELP!!!

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I couldn't snap a pic of this worm last night it was my first time seeing it and it appears to be only around 2 inches long. At first I thought is just a bristle worm but then I saw the face and well it's got that eunice face. In all honesty I think it's beautiful its a vibrant red iridescence and id like to keep it if it's not gonna chop my fish in half or eat my corals or inverts. I am adding my sump in a few weeks so I could relocate it to the refugium at that point. Does anybody have any experience with a eunice like this I belive it's a palolo eunice like the one in the picture, however I know nothing about these guys and how dangerous they are. The one I have is so much more vibrant then the one pictured I wish I could have snapped a pic, in all its creepiness it manages to show so much beauty quite amazing.
palolo-worm-eunice-torquata-EBHB3H.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't look to ID them so specifically as often it takes a microscope. They won't eat your fish. There's a chance it might eat coral.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair thanks for the response I was actually hoping u would chime in on this as I'm no expert and just using Google to help me out. So I do have lots of corals and like I said I actually think it looks rather unique but I'm just not sure if my sump will be enough to house this guy. I have a biocube and I'm adding the eshopps nano refugium in a week or so. Do u think that would be sufficient enough space to support it long term as its hanging out in a small softball sized rock currently.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in keeping him, I'm sure your sump or fuge would be adequate, but it's hard to say not knowing exactly how big he will get. It's certainly a better tank than where a lot of people put them, which is the septic tank.

I set up a 10g tank for mine and it was fantastic. @Wiz currently has one.

There's no way to tell what he will end up eating, most of them don't get very large and are scavengers or herbivores.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 10 months old and only had live rock added once from the start so I'm guessing hes been in there for the whole time and has been good so far. I love diversity so i can't bring myself to do the flush although watching some of them videos of them does give me nightmares lol. I think I will try the refugium and if it outgrows it then I'm sure somebody will take it off my hands.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it I would definitely have him in a separate dedicated system. Nasty worms..

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so nice looking like I wish it was out and about so I could see it more frequently I can't believe how beautiful the red is on it I would compare it to the fire red shrimp color but iridescence as well..the white band behind its head pops just like the white spots on the fire shrimp.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in my fuge. He is pretty cool. I think he eats my Kenya Trees down there. Can't be a hundred percent on that though. I know he will eat clams. In order to get out of my fuge he would have to make it through a drain guard, to enter my sump, a corse sponge separating my skim area and then back through the return pump. I would say it's near impossible without killing itself. Hopefully that won't come back to bite me. Literally. LOL I think he's really cool to watch. If I could I would definitely keep him myself. Meeting you obviously. But if not and you need some place for him to go I am always available.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. I have experienced these worms a few times.
I'm open to the suggestions and I thank u for your response. But perhaps it would be of some help to me if you explained your reasoning further so I can make a decision on what I want to do. I'm curious as to what your experience was so I can have some more feedback as I am new to reefing and want to learn as much as possible. Thanks

ARCreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 353 confirmed species of Eunice worms with probably dozens more that have yet to be cataloged. Some Eunice worms can be identified by appearance but like @Lionfish Lair said, most can only be properly identified in a lab. Even the creator of the term "bobbit worm" could not get a positive identification on his worm even with the sample and with the involvement of the Smithsonian Institutes lab.
@Jd120988 you gave a pretty good description of what you saw, the "white band" was key. Without seeing it in person my best guess would be that it is a Eunice longisetis. Red body, iridescence, and white band. Next time you see it check to see if 5 antenna structures are beaded, and not simply banded, if so then I think this would be the correct ID and I wouldn't be worried about having it in your tank, he is a scavenger and detritivore. They are strikingly beautiful. This species can grow up to 16" though. They live in rock-work, not in sand and definitely do NOT cut fish in half like other members of the genus can. Enjoy him, he is just another beautiful member of your tank.
We study these guys a lot and have an article all about Eunice Worms but I'm unsure about posting outside links here. If you do get to snap a photo of him I'm sure it would help in positively identifying him. Hope this helps somewhat.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 353 confirmed species of Eunice worms with probably dozens more that have yet to be cataloged. Some Eunice worms can be identified by appearance but like @Lionfish Lair said, most can only be properly identified in a lab. Even the creator of the term "bobbit worm" could not get a positive identification on his worm even with the sample and with the involvement of the Smithsonian Institutes lab.
@Jd120988 you gave a pretty good description of what you saw, the "white band" was key. Without seeing it in person my best guess would be that it is a Eunice longisetis. Red body, iridescence, and white band. Next time you see it check to see if 5 antenna structures are beaded, and not simply banded, if so then I think this would be the correct ID and I wouldn't be worried about having it in your tank, he is a scavenger and detritivore. They are strikingly beautiful. This species can grow up to 16" though. They live in rock-work, not in sand and definitely do NOT cut fish in half like other members of the genus can. Enjoy him, he is just another beautiful member of your tank.
We study these guys a lot and have an article all about Eunice Worms but I'm unsure about posting outside links here. If you do get to snap a photo of him I'm sure it would help in positively identifying him. Hope this helps somewhat.
Wow this is very reassuring I was trying to coax him out before with a spot feed on the rock it inhabits and within seconds of feeding I saw it moving through the rock scurrying to get some food. I did not notice the antenna being beaded or banded but I wasnt looking either so I'm going to see if I can spot him a little better when the moon lights shut down a little later. Also I would love to read that article if it's not alot of trouble perhaps you could pm me the link if that's not against any club policies. Thanks again for the help

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps don't mind the bubble algae my emerald crab hopefully takes care of it b4 it becomes the bubble plague.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back