NVIDIA IDE BUS MASTER

I've had the strangest problem i'm not quite sure how to tackle..... It looks weird and sounds strange, but even worse it feels like i'll not get an answer to this one unless...... you can help....

post-90451-1144526489.jpg

As you can see from the above, my Nvidia SATA drivers are installed fine.

Below that, and try as i might, i cannot get the Primary, Secondary and Dual channel PCI IDE controller to use the Nvidia drivers included in the driver package from Nvidia.

Either XP just doesnt feel like it, or i'm missing out a vital step in getting the Nvidia drivers installed.

I've got them working once before but curiously cant remember how..... Anyone know how?

By the way, I can already hear people think "update your drivers!" but i've got the latest version (tried older versions) and know it's nothing wrong per se with the driver package. BIOS Settings seem fine too.... It really does look like i've missed out a vital, blindingly obvious, screamingly inane step (which I did before!) in getting the Nvidia IDE drivers installed.....

Anyone know the missing piece to this puzzle.....? Can someone jog my memory.....?

Nvidia IDE drivers seem to cause more trouble than they're worth. I kept getting Event ID 51 in my error log when I used them. Un-installed and all is good.

All you should have to do is install the Nforce drivers. Try using driver cleaner to completely get rid of them and start again. You could also try uninstalling the drivers for your primary and secondary ide channels and rebooting and then trying the nforce drivers again.

All you should have to do is install the Nforce drivers. Try using driver cleaner to completely get rid of them and start again. You could also try uninstalling the drivers for your primary and secondary ide channels and rebooting and then trying the nforce drivers again.

Thanks Bob, and all the others who helped! I actually had to choose the "Don't search automatically, i will choose the driver to install" option to get the Nvidia Parallell ATA driver installed!

For whatever reason, they simply did not install, even after i deleted the old drivers and uninstalled and re-installed the nforce package.....

One thing that might be a clue.... When I chose the driver to install from

C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.70\IDE\WinXP\legacy

XP popped up with the "Dis driver is not signed! Be afraid be very afraid!"..... Needless to say, me chose "Install anyway".

Fire and Brimstone!

Thought id check my IDE drivers after reading this and mine are MS ones too, even though i told nforce package to install the IDE SW drivers....hmmmm

Thought id check my IDE drivers after reading this and mine are MS ones too, even though i told nforce package to install the IDE SW drivers....hmmmm

it IS strange that the nforce installer doesn't do it all for you...... consistently....

like i said, on a couple of occasions, under circumstances I can't remember but wish i could, the nvidia drivers installed fine.......

The way round it, as i posted above, is to install them manually. If anyone needs any instructions how to do this, i'd gladly help, or better yet if anyone can solve the mystery of why they don't consistently install in the first place (not signed drivers?? - could this be a reason for no automatic install) then please let us all know.

Piece!

The latest nforce chipset drivers don't install anymore the nforce PATA drivers due to various incompatibilities with optical drives and 3rd party apps. There's no advantage in using 'em over the default MS drivers...

The latest nforce chipset drivers don't install anymore the nforce PATA drivers due to various incompatibilities with optical drives and 3rd party apps. There's no advantage in using 'em over the default MS drivers...

Aaaah!.... Well.... mystery solved.... Thanks..... :) So these puppies can be unstable/incompatible etc...... With my system, luckily, they seem fine, so i'm wondering: Will it do any harm keeping them installed now i've gone to such trouble and do they provide any performance gain? (My hard drive does seem slightly speedier when i have them installed - the driver install says something about decreased bottlneck blah blah - is this true?)

Thanks again!