Cichla Orinocensis "Rio Meta/Columbia" OR Cichla Kelberi

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Hi . This was sold to me as rio meta blue. It only eats pellets and is a very bold fish even though its the smallest fish in my tank. Just over 7 inch. Loves to chase my tinfoils and archers.

Any one know what size these get to? Im very new to bass... and wondered if its just the different river locations as to why its called rio meta???

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Hi . This was sold to me as rio meta blue. It only eats pellets and is a very bold fish even though its the smallest fish in my tank. Just over 7 inch. Loves to chase my tinfoils and archers.

Any one know what size these get to? Im very new to bass... and wondered if its just the different river locations as to why its called rio meta???
Rio meta is the river that it came from....and orinos will grow to 24 inches if cared for properly, but they grow slow.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
a rio meta is a normal orino, but yours is a good looking orino
Ok thanks. All these bass and from different locations is really confusing.
Last question.. why are some orino sold as orino.. amd others sold as rio meta blue?
I paid a bit more for mine cause I thought rio meta blue orino were harder to get or more sought after.
Dont get me.wrong.. I really like this fish... and it looks better than other orino I have seen at the same size.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Ok thanks. All these bass and from different locations is really confusing.
Last question.. why are some orino sold as orino.. amd others sold as rio meta blue?
I paid a bit more for mine cause I thought rio meta blue orino were harder to get or more sought after.
Dont get me.wrong.. I really like this fish... and it looks better than other orino I have seen at the same size.
Sometimes the collection point isn't known so just the species is stated(orino) and the blue is just a sales gimmick.....all rio meta orinos show some blue....although there are other collection points, most of the orinos in the market are rio meta.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Sometimes the collection point isn't known so just the species is stated(orino) and the blue is just a sales gimmick.....all rio meta orinos show some blue....although there are other collection points, most of the orinos in the market are rio meta.
I see..I get it now... Cheers.

NIce new pick ups Ade!
YOu need some kelberi now :)
Glad u like it. Means alot coming from you. :D
Kels????? Maybe in the future. . Got a few friend growing up some small ones kels and azuls so best not rush.. hopefully this O will grow well. And not too slowly.

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
So does all this mean that Kelberi are faster growing with an average size of 15 inch and that Orino have blue and green color vs Kelberi gold? and get to 20-24 inch ? Im still trying to figure out which I like best. I really Love Kelberi gold colors. And I have seen a lot of nice pictures of Orino with blue and in the tail and green grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Man o Man I love the decisions but hate them too hahahha

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
So does all this mean that Kelberi are faster growing with an average size of 15 inch and that Orino have blue and green color vs Kelberi gold? and get to 20-24 inch ? Im still trying to figure out which I like best. I really Love Kelberi gold colors. And I have seen a lot of nice pictures of Orino with blue and in the tail and green grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Man o Man I love the decisions but hate them too hahahha
The way I look at it is all bass can potentially get 20+ inches under the right conditions but some grow faster and some grow slower. Orinos, and Kelberi are slow growing and Tems, Pinima, and Azuls are faster growing. If you can't decide which you like better get one or two of each.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store