Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcf1urry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
I've had my IPAD (6TH GENERATION) WI-FI, CELLULAR 128GB for about 9 months. I usually have the brightness setting quite low. Unless I'm streaming Netflix or Prime Video when I have the brightness level on full. Yesterday I noticed 2 areas at the edge of the screen that had light patches. I did a backlight bleed test and found a few areas of light bleed on the left side of the screen. [the round bright light is my Home Button]

IMG_5098.png

I contacted Apple today and they’re willing to take a look at it and repair if necessary. But it means posting the ipad to them and then waiting at least another 10 days for it to be returned. [I can’t take it in to an Apple store].

My question is, is light bleed that big of a deal? Is it to be expected? Am I being too fussy? Will it get worse?

If there’s a possibility that it will get worse then I won’t hesitate to send it for repair.

Cheers.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
That’s a swap out, they can send another and you send this one back if you have a cc for a hold.
Always been a lottery problem, solved with the 11”.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
This backlight bleed can be an early indication of other problems with the screen, that potentially result in intermittent non-responsiveness.

I would get it replaced unless you really can’t live without it for that time period.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I've had my IPAD (6TH GENERATION) WI-FI, CELLULAR 128GB for about 9 months. I usually have the brightness setting quite low. Unless I'm streaming Netflix or Prime Video when I have the brightness level on full. Yesterday I noticed 2 areas at the edge of the screen that had light patches. I did a backlight bleed test and found a few areas of light bleed on the left side of the screen. [the round bright light is my Home Button]

View attachment 889614

I contacted Apple today and they’re willing to take a look at it and repair if necessary. But it means posting the ipad to them and then waiting at least another 10 days for it to be returned. [I can’t take it in to an Apple store].

My question is, is light bleed that big of a deal? Is it to be expected? Am I being too fussy? Will it get worse?

If there’s a possibility that it will get worse then I won’t hesitate to send it for repair.

Cheers.
Sell it and get a 7th generation iPad (it's on sale for $250 on some sites).

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Sell it and get a 7th generation iPad (it's on sale for $250 on some sites).

The OP’s iPad is a 6th gen 128GB Cellular model that is still under warranty. You are recommending a 7th gen 64GB WiFi model to replace it at a significant financial loss, less storage and the loss of cellular?

His light bleed is pretty drastic so a warranty replacement is by far the simplest solution.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The OP’s iPad is a 6th gen 128GB Cellular model that is still under warranty. You are recommending a 7th gen 64GB WiFi model to replace it at a significant financial loss, less storage and the loss of cellular?

His light bleed is pretty drastic so a warranty replacement is by far the simplest solution.

but the 6th gen iPad has 2gb of ram too where. The new 10.2” has 3GB of ram so the ram on the iPad. 7 is a nic little upgrade over the 6th gen iPad

mcf1urry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
Many thanks for all the responses. Ipad is now ready for posting back to Apple. It's such an inconvenience. Potentially 2 weeks without it. At least it happened within the warranty period. So there's that I guess. :rolleyes:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Many thanks for all the responses. Ipad is now ready for posting back to Apple. It's such an inconvenience. Potentially 2 weeks without it. At least it happened within the warranty period. So there's that I guess. :rolleyes:

And it’s no charge on your end?

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019

You could of got your replacement then sent the old one back, with no inconvenience.

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
Mine had the same issue. They handed me a replacement on the spot. Just be prepared to answer "no" if they ask whether you've had it in a tight case.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It'll be interesting to take one of the affected ones apart to find root cause. Might not be backlight bleed but some edge lit LEDs getting brighter over time for some reason. It would bother me with just one bright blob but yours has three big ones and a bunch of little ones. Definitely take it back.

Jan 26, 2020
i have the same problem with my ipad pro 10.5 inch, i can see light emit and it s above the home button, i will take it in an apple premium support shop and hope for the best, i will let you know

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
When I had my iPP 10.5 replaced, I sent it off and had a new one sent to me. I’m in Australia and the postal service here has deteriorated since less mail and more parcels are sent these days, so it took a week to return to Apple. While Apple can opt to send via a courier with next day delivery for new purchases. So this was a pain, but i felt like it was worth it once I had my replacement without any screen defects.
When I required a left AirPod replacement, they sent me one first and allowed me to return the original one in the packaging that the replacement came in, but they did place a hold on my credit card for the amount of a replacement AirPod until they received the defective one. Perhaps they prefer not to do it that way for iPads, but you could ask.

Jan 26, 2020
When I had my iPP 10.5 replaced, I sent it off and had a new one sent to me. I’m in Australia and the postal service here has deteriorated since less mail and more parcels are sent these days, so it took a week to return to Apple. While Apple can opt to send via a courier with next day delivery for new purchases. So this was a pain, but i felt like it was worth it once I had my replacement without any screen defects.
When I required a left AirPod replacement, they sent me one first and allowed me to return the original one in the packaging that the replacement came in, but they did place a hold on my credit card for the amount of a replacement AirPod until they received the defective one. Perhaps they prefer not to do it that way for iPads, but you could ask.

i live in greece amd we dont have an apple store, only official resellers and survice providers so i am worried about what i will go through... I am hoping for a replacement. and not telling me it s my fault cause it is not. i hope they can check it someway

mcf1urry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
Apple kindly replaced my 9mth old ipad with a brand new one.
It arrived today. Quick set up. Then I thought I'd just check and make sure this new pad had no issues re the last one. I performed a Backlight bleed test as before. And this was the result ...

IMG_5415.png

I've got a call back arranged with Apple for tomorrow afternoon. I don't know where to go from here tbh.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Apple kindly replaced my 9mth old ipad with a brand new one.
It arrived today. Quick set up. Then I thought I'd just check and make sure this new pad had no issues re the last one. I performed a Backlight bleed test as before. And this was the result ...

View attachment 891067

I've got a call back arranged with Apple for tomorrow afternoon. I don't know where to go from here tbh.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yep get a 11" pro best iPad ever and no back light bleed, i gave up on those iPads for that reason, also white spot on 10.5 and red/majenta on the mini.

You could swap 10 times before you get a good one. If you use it for video in dark you will hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.